- The scheme aims to 10 million youth during the period 2016 -2020, with training and assessment fees completely paid by the government
- Short-term training: Training Centres to benefit either school/ college drop-outs or unemployed. Training is provided based on the National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF) and imparting soft skills, entrepreneurship, fianncial and digital literacy. Upon successful completion of their assessment, candidates shall be provided placement assistance by Training Partners
- Recognition of Prior Learning: Individuals with prior learning experience or skills shall be assessed and certified under the RPL component of the Scheme. It aims to align the competencies of the unregulated workforce of the country to the NSQF. Sector Skill Councils are usually the project implementing agencies
- Special Projects: This component envisages the creation of a platform that will facilitate trainings in special areas and/or premises of Government bodies, Corporates or Industry bodies, and trainings in special job roles not defined under the available Qualification Packs (QPs)/National Occupational Standards (NOSs)
Kaushal and Rozgar Mela: Social and community mobilisation is critical for success of the scheme, therefore PMKVY assigns special importance to the involvement of the target beneficiaries through a defined mobilisation process, where TPs shall conduct Kaushal and Rozgar Melas every six months with press/media coverage
- Placement Guidelines: Envisages to link the aptitude, aspiration, and knowledge of the skilled workforce it creates with employment opportunities and demands in the market. TCs to provide placement opportunities to candidates, trained and certified under the Scheme and shall also provide support to entrepreneurship development
- Monitoring Guidelines: To ensure that high standards of quality are maintained by TCs, NSDC and empaneled Inspection Agencies shall use various methodologies, such as self-audit reporting, call validations, surprise visits, and monitoring through the Skills Development Management System (SDMS).